Meeting was called to order by Gwen King at 12:05
a.)City of Elko-Curtis Calder
City Council Meeting agenda items:
- MIA recognition day
- Brian Burgess is retiring and will receive a plaque.
- Wes Henderson director of League of Cities; league happenings and legislative update
- Radio upgrade within the Police Dept.
- Badge pinning for new firefighter.
- Annual evaluation for Curtis Calder
- Summertime projects finishing up
- Airport snow removal has had final acceptance as well as micro slurry project
- Pool boiler project for the Elko City pool had bids come in, they were all a bit over, but not enough to stop project.
- Airport food & beverage concessions are currently still out to bid
- Limited sewer connectivity on Royal Crest Drive. A waiver has been asked for.
- Request for Green Belt Park closure for a Halloween “Trunk & Treat.”
- Arts & Culture Board still has a vacancy
- California Trail Interpretive Center Advisory Board has an open position
- City needs to decide if they are going to appeal a matter that they previously petitioned to the district court about, concerning an airport tenant and tax issues, and was dismissed by the district court.
- Looking for a 2nd contract with a local vet for spay & neuter needs with LASSO.
- Two public hearings coming up on raising fees. The first, is a resolution for landfill tipping fee, and the second is for water connection fees for new development. Effective October 1st if resolution passes.
b.) City of Carlin- No report
c.) Spring Creek Association- Jessie Bahr
-The Community Center is almost complete.
- Horse Palace- contracted with LCA, still trying to figure out the understanding of the basics of fixing the building, then they will move onto planning and budgets.
- The COA rules and Member procedures are being reviewed to see what changes may need to take place in regards to current rules and member requirements/policies. Some items for discussion in upcoming meetings include:
Door to Door Solicitation
Nuisance of dogs
Construction Site Standards
New system software
-Chip Sealing has been completed, as well as the building of new road shoulders.
-Planning- The community survey has brought about a lot of new ideas. On September 21st at 6pm there will be a results meeting, then the board will prioritize the needs of the community.
- Water issues- met with John Ellison to discuss legislative possibilities. A draft with the policy changes will be worked on in the next few months.
a.)Elko County School District-Jeff Zander
- Remington Construction was awarded the bid for the Spring Creek HS leach field problem.
- Geothermal repair work throughout the Main City Park has been contracted with Snyder Mechanical
- 2% raise increase in staff pay in ECSD
- new schools are needed and are coming soon.
b.)Elko County-No Report
III.) Great Basin College- (Per Cathy McAdoo)
- She attended her first Board of Regents meeting and enjoyed it very much.
- Matt McCarty was appointed to the Chancellor’s Committee
- The decision on GBC and if it will become a four year school is not on the next agenda.
IV.) Northeastern NV Regional Hospital-Bill Applegate
-The 30th Annual Health Fair is this weekend. This year the normal screenings are being done at no charge, except for PSA testing. This is due to the changing of governmental testing guidelines.
- NNRH will host their annual drive by flu clinic on October 8th and they are expecting a large turnout.
V.) NNRDA- Pam Borda
- Currently working on a major lead that could bring in a 135 million dollar investment to the Wells area, as well as other leads that involve recruiting in Canada and Australia.
- She has twelve meetings set up for prospective companies during the Las Vegas Mine Expo.
- Will be attending the annual Economic Development Conference in Reno soon.
- Several new members including, Eureka Co., White Pine Co., City of Ely. The City of Winnemucca and Humboldt County are interested in joining the NNRDA. Because of the new memberships, they will be hiring new full time staff member.
- CDGB planning grant will be applied for.
VI.) Elko Area Chamber-Billie Crapo
- The deadline for the seven open Board of Director’s seats is today. Elections for the open seats will start this Thursday and end on October 14th, the new members will be announced that day as well.
- BAH is on Sept. 15th and will be hosted by Greater NV Mortgage and take place at the Ledgestone Hotel
- Lunch & Learn on 9/29 is sponsored by NV State Bank. They will be providing the lunch and James Glennon CPA, with Glennon & Sandoval Co., will be talking about the importance of budgeting.
- October 3rd the Gwinn Center for Policy Priorities will partner with the Elko Chamber and host a luncheon to present the Gwinn’s Center fact sheet on the four statewide questions on Nevada’s 2016 general election ballot. The luncheon will take place at the Convention Center from noon-2pm.
VII.) Public Comment Period
VIII.) Adjourned at 1:07
Members in Attendance:
Gwen King, Pam Borda, Curtis Calder, Amber Fox, Jessie Bahr, Bill Applegate, Billie Crapo, David Roberts, Jeff Zander, Melissa McJunkin, Cathy McAdoo, Scott Tuck, Paul Gardner, Steve Mimms
Respectfully submitted by: Melissa McJunkin